Discussion Board Topic: Homeostatic Imbalance – Acne
In the textbook on page 121, the Homeostatic Imbalance section explains that acne is an active infection of the sebaceous glands.
1. What is thought to cause acne? What causes some individuals to have mild acne, while others exhibit severe acne? Are there age- and sex-related differences?
2. What are the leading nonprescription treatments of acne?
3. What are the leading prescription treatments of acne?
4. Discuss changes in the skin on hot and cold days, or when you have a fever. Remember behavioral changes as well, such as curling up under a blanket when sleeping on a cold night or stretching out without a cover on a hot night.
5. Discuss the effects of alcohol consumption on skin color and body temperature regulation.
6. Discuss the difference between the terms visceral and parietal.
7. Briefly discuss the interplay between body systems and to note their interrelationships in maintaining homeostasis. For example, Vitamin D reabsorption in the skin and activation by the kidneys.
8. Explain how severe burns are classified, treated and managed.
9. Discuss tattooing, and use it as a model to emphasize learning the layers of the epidermis and dermis.
10. Discuss the ABCD rule of malignant melanoma and talk about your own observations or experiences.