ompleting this assignment will help prepare you for working with children like Tiana, an elementary school student with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) who is described in this week’s case study, and for using play as an educational and therapeutic tool. You will create a play-based plan to help Tiana improve her interactions with others and increase her social skills and self-confidence. After reading the case study, review the ADHD: What you’re seeing in your grade-schooler resource and incorporate findings from the resource into your assignment.
Turning Back the Clock: In your professional role, you will likely work with children like Tiana. Through the facilitation of positive play environments in which trained adults teach and reinforce developmentally appropriate social and emotional behaviors, you can help Tiana channel her energy in a safe way. For this assignment, you will assume the role of Tiana’s first grade teacher. Based on the possible trajectory presented in her story, how could you address Tiana’s needs in first grade to reduce the negativity associated with her attention deficient hyperactivity (ADHD) characteristics.
- Introduction (1.5 points): Write one to two pages in which you provide a summary of ADHD and discuss specific symptoms children with ADHD might demonstrate in the classroom and during play activities.
- Assessment of Play Needs (4 points): In one to two pages, explain the social skills Tiana needs to develop to improve her interaction with others. Include details of specific play strategies that you would promote to improve her social acceptance with peers.
- Plan – Support (4 points): In one to two pages, explain the specific play and child development theories that support your specific play strategies discussed.
- Conclusion (1.5 points): Write one to two paragraphs discussing the anticipated outcomes of implementing your play strategies.
Written Communication Expectations
- Page Requirement (.5 points): Two-to-three pages, not including the title and references pages.
- APA Formatting (.5 points): Use APA formatting consistently throughout the assignment as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Syntax and Mechanics (.5 points): Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics such as spelling and grammar.
- Source Requirement (.5 points): Reference two scholarly sources in addition to the course text to provide compelling evidence that supports your ideas. All sources on the references page need to be used and cited correctly within the body of your assignment.