Assignment 2: Factors In Favor of and Against
Finding “factors for” and “factors against” a position is a versatile tool for critical thinkers. In this assignment, you will practice this technique more formally by examining one of several contemporary issues.
Research methods for creating arguments using factors for and factors against an issue using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet.
Select a topic for use in this assignment. Examples of topics can include the following:
- Lowering the legal drinking age in the United States.
- Enacting compulsory military service obligation for all US citizens.
- Instituting health insurance discounts (or other incentives) for proof of maintaining physical fitness.
For the selected topic, complete the following:
- Construct at least six reasons for and six reasons against the stance.
- Rank the reasons in terms of strength and effectiveness. Explain why you identified an argument as the strongest or weakest in each category.
Write a 2–3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Use the following file naming convention: LastnameFirstInitial_M2_A2.doc.
By Wednesday, September 19, 2012, deliver your assignment to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Critically analyzed topic to build arguments for and against the issue providing six valid reasons.||
|Ranked reasons in each category showing comprehension, analysis, and evaluation of subject matter.||
|Provided justification for ranking the reasons showing comprehension, analysis, and evaluation of subject matter.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||
through the left side navigation link.