Assignment 2: RA 1: Advocacy in Action Presentation
Description of RA 1:
In this assignment, you will develop an advocacy plan based on the scenario below. Your plan will incorporate the relevant ACA Advocacy Competencies and your approach to facilitating client wellness.
You have been hired as a counselor in a local community agency that offers services to victims and survivors of intimate partner violence. Your first client is a 33-year old female war veteran who returned from Afghanistan one year ago. She enlisted in the army right after high school and has been married for 7 years. She reported that the physical abuse started in the third year of her marriage. She described serving in Afghanistan as a “piece of cake” compared to what she experiences at home. Since returning from Afghanistan your client acknowledges that her husband has physically abused her at least once a month. She wants to leave but stated that she has no place to go and cannot find a job. She expressed disappointment over the treatment she has received from the government since returning home. She suffers from depression, insomnia, and it is believed that she may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Your client reports that she has lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months. She describes feeling trapped, isolated, alone, and scared and is relying on you to help her. You have been asked to present your case at the faculty meeting in two weeks. You have decided to prepare a PowerPoint presentation that emphasizes your advocacy and wellness approach to working with the client.
- Review the ACA Advocacy Competencies and Competency Domains.
- Create a PowerPoint presentation that:
- Introduces your advocacy plan (who, what, and why?).
- Elaborates on the relevant competency domains that you believe are most applicable to your work with the client.
- Describes how you will use the related counselor advocacy competencies to assist your client (be specific regarding each relevant counselor competency per domain).
- Identifies issues in your client’s life that affect her overall wellness.
- Includes suggestions to help your client improve her physical, cognitive, emotional, and social wellness.
- The presentation should include no more than 10–14 slides.
- The presentation should be created using a Microsoft PowerPoint template that reflects professional, graduate-level scholarship.
Your final product will be a 10- to 14-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation written in APA format, utilizing at least five scholarly sources. Use the speaker notes feature to provide necessary detail and to keep the presentation screen from being overcrowded.
As a student in the CMHC program, you are required to create a portfolio documenting both your academic work and professional activities completed during your time in the program. The Advocacy in Action presentation is an appropriate piece of evidence to add to your portfolio.
- By the due date assigned, save your document as M4_A2_Lastname_Firstname.doc and submit the document to theSubmissions Area.