Assignment: BIO125 Phase 5 Lab Report: Aging, Diseases, and Disorders
INSTRUCTIONS: In this lab, you will answer questions related to risks and incidence of injuries, diseases, and disorders in all of the systems covered in this lab.
Part 1: Cells and Stem Cells
- How do stem cells differentiate from other cells?
- Name the 2 general categories of stems cells, and identify where they are found, how they are created, and what purpose they serve.
- Where are most adult stem cells found?
- What has research shown that stem cells from bone marrow are affective in treating?
Part 2: The Muscular and Skeletal Systems
5.What happens to the muscles as you age?
6.How can someone prevent or slow down muscle weakness? List example.
7.Is there is a relationship between strength and independent mobility? Please Explain.
8.What are some effects of muscular weakness on mobility as a person ages?
9.Because children’s bodies are still developing, what should they avoid when trying to increase muscle strength?
10. What leads to flexibility decreasing with age?
11. What are the effects of weak muscles on the joints?
Part 3: The Nervous System—The Brain
12. What are the causes, incidences, and risk factors of a stroke?
13. List alternate names of a stroke.
14. What are the 2 major types of stroke? Explain what occurs in each.
15. What about this image of the brain indicates the incidence of a stroke?
16. List and describe 2 other types of brain disease or disorder, including causes, incidence, and risk factors.
17. What is the difference between paraplegia and quadriplegia?
18. Can a spinal cord injury affect the body permanently?
19. What are the possible causes of a spinal cord injury?
20. What is the difference between complete and incomplete spinal cord injury?
21. Give an example of an assistive device.
Part 4: The Cardiovascular System and the Heart
26. What is cardiac arrest?
27. Which is more dangerous to the heart: atrial or ventricular fibrillation?
28. Name another cardiovascular disorder that can affect the heart.