Differences Between Mitosis and Meiosis and the significance of Mendelian genetic
Part A : Please compare and contrast meiosis and mitosis. Highlight major differences and common points in an organized text (No table).
Part B : Mendel used mathematics and experimentation to derive major principles that have helped us understand inheritance. His ideas were totally different than the explanation for passage of characteristics from parents to offspring that was common to his time. Discuss at least two of his principles in detail, providing examples. Describe how each principle contributes to genetic variability. Discuss the significance of Mendel’s discoveries to modern biology.
Your main post should answer both questions , and include a reference section. Each of your replies should be at least 3 lines long and include a reference section. Please gather information related to the topic from your textbook and other reliable sources. Cite all sources used to build your paragraphs at the end of each of your reply.
- Post your response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned Saturday November 16. Respond to at least two posts by the end of the week Wednesday November 20.
Our understanding of genetic inheritance and the function of DNA in producing the characteristics of the individual have been developing for more than 150 years.
- Consider our current state of knowledge.
- Link genetic characteristics to DNA structure.
- Describe the steps in the process of protein synthesis.
- Explain how DNA through the process of protein synthesis is responsible for the ultimate expression of the characteristics in the organism.
- Describe how interference in protein synthesis can result in disruption of cellular and bodily processes?
One important class of proteins are enzymes, which control countless processes within our bodies. Considering that the building blocks of proteins are amino acids, explain how poor nutrition can disrupt many important functions in our bodies.
The minimum length for this assignment is 1,200 words. Be sure to check your Turnitin report for your post and to make corrections before the deadline of 11:59 pm Mountain Time of the due date to avoid lack of originality problems in your work.