Presentation – Eastern Cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus)
Assignment Instructions: Ecology is the interaction of a living organism with the biotic (living) and abiotic (non-living) factors in the environment. Using your knowledge about the organism you chose, observe the organism and document in multimedia formats its ecology. Document how your organism lives, works (gains energy), and generally interacts with the environment. Potential methods of documentation include photography, video, and audio recording.
The presentation will be submitted as a weblink that you have created either from building a Prezi presentation.
Instructions for creating a Prezi presentation: Prezi Creation and Uploading Instructions
Each type of organism has a very specific ecology. Here are details of what should be documented in your multimedia presentation on the Eastern Cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus):
Presentation Details: Animalia
1. Organism Introduction– What are the common and scientific names of the organism? Where specifically was the organism observed (e.g., country, city, state, park, body of water)? Why did you choose this organism? If possible and preferably, include a picture of yourself in the field where you safely studied your organism.
2. Foraging Ecology– How does the animal obtain its food? For this observation, you will document specific aspects of feeding ecology. Some examples would be the type(s) of food, the amount of food, the temporal pattern of feeding, and specific handling or processing of food items by the organism (e.g., a squirrel manipulating an acorn).
3. Reproductive Ecology– How does the organism reproduce? For this observation, you will document specific aspects of reproductive ecology. Some examples include categories such as reproductive strategies (e.g., release of gametes by a fish; hermaphroditic reproduction in earthworms; copulation in bonobos); mate choice, mating displays, mate competition, and mating systems.
4. Habitat– How does the organism live? For this observation, document the type of habitat(s) it is found in. Document any types of shelter or bedding area such as nests, burrows, beds, etc.
5. Other Behaviors– What are other behaviors the organism exhibits? For this observation, you will document other forms behavior. Some examples would be light sensitivity, tactile sensitivity, parental care, group formation, kin helpers, defense, territoriality, and cooperation.
Your presentation should be presented and contain 10-20 elements/slides using Prezi.
The presentation should contain a visual component to include videos and/or photos as well as a narrative component in the form of audio or written narration. Prezi allows for you to develop such a presentation.
EXAMPLES of other Prezi presentations:
A. Subject Knowledge and Content – (50 points possible). Subject knowledge should be evident throughout the project. Information presented should be clear, thorough, appropriate, and correct, and the topics covered in your presentation should include but not be limited to the following criteria listed in detail in below:
1. Organism Introduction
2. Energy Ecology or Foraging Ecology
3. Reproductive Ecology
5. Response to Environment, Biotic Interactions, or Other Behaviors
B. Layout and Organization – (25 points possible). The layout should be visually pleasing and appropriate in order to convey information in an effective manner with suitable use of fonts – color, size, type for text and headings; background color; placement & size of graphics/videos; and audio/written narration. All slides/elements should follow a logical sequence in the presentation.
C. Narration Mechanics – (10 points possible). The text should be written with no errors in grammar, capitalization, punctuation, or spelling where applicable.
D. Citations – (10 points possible). All sources (photos, videos, etc) are credible and properly cited where applicable and listed at the end of the presentation in APA format. Your presentation should be created in your own words with your own photos and videos. If utilizing any additional outside sources (e.g., photos, videos, research) in your presentation you are required to cite your sources where necessary.
E. Technical – (5 points possible). The presentation should run smoothly with no technical problems. For example, there should be no error messages and all sound, video, or other files should be accessible.