Part I: FOCUS2 Career Research & Readiness
1. Go to this link: http://www.mdc.edu/main/advisement/careers/career_assessments.aspx or MDC’s Career and Advisement website, then select career exploration and FOCUS2
My account is:
I just need the answers from 5 to 8.
2. Select Create An Account from the options at the top and type in Miami Dade College.
3. Provide the access code when prompted, which should be MDC-Sharks. If this code does not work, simply click the Miami Dade College Contact Information link at the top-left corner of the webpage to find a code there. Complete the remaining fields indicated on the page.
4. Once you have completed the account login information, move on to the next step and click on the main menu.
5. Click on Career Readiness, then on Academic Strengths and complete the inventory. Answer the following questions according to your results:
Ø What are the courses that you excel at?
Ø What are the courses you may need some assistance with?
Ø How do you think this information will help you succeed in college? Be specific about your results and how they relate to your personal goals, academic plans, and courses of action you may wish to take.
6. Click on Work Interest Assessment and provide the following information:
Ø List your top three codes:
Ø List the careers or educational tracks that matched your interests:
7. Choose any of the links given below and research your career interests. Then, answer the following questions:
Ø What level of education and area of study must you obtain before working in this occupation?
Ø What are some of the job duties in this occupation?
Ø Does this occupation correspond to your values or does it conflict with your values? Consider things like family life, work-life balance, financial goals, traveling, etc. Be specific and thoughtful in your response.
8. Now that you have researched, it is time to create your S.M.A.R.T. Action Plan. Once you have built your action plan and reviewed it, attach it to this document after this page for submission. Think about your academic and career goals over the next 1 or 2 years. Then, identify one or two mini-goals you should accomplish to help you achieve your ultimate goal. Create an Action Plan to help you accomplish your mini goals. This plan MUST contain all of the characteristics of a S.M.A.R.T. action plan, specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound.