Listen to the short podcast lecture on the assignment page of your online course to get helpful tips for completing this assignment. This week you will select a case study you want to examine throughout the course. Each case study presents a topic and area of psychology. These topics will be used to study specific areas of psychology and will provide you with an opportunity to examine the uses of applied behavioral science. For example, if you select Case Study #1, you will explore the topic of severe depression from the clinical psychology perspective. If you select Case Study #5, you will explore motivation from the industrial organizational psychology perspective. For each case, you will also indicate why this topic and area of psychology are of interest to you. See the attached ABS200 Case Study List to review the case studies and make your choice.
The paper should clearly identify your case study selection, explain why you have decided to focus on this particular topic and area of psychology for your Final Paper, and explain the importance of the topic. Begin your paper with a well- written introduction that includes a succinct thesis statement, and end your paper with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis. For assistance with creating a thesis statement, utilize the Thesis Generator tool on the Ashford University Writing Center website.
The paper should be one-to-two pages in length (excluding title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style. Your paper must contain at least one reference from a scholarly source that is cited according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Examples of scholarly sources include peer reviewed journal articles, research studies, professional websites with authored material, and government websites. Popular Internet sites (Wikipedia, Newsweek, New York Times, etc.) are not considered scholarly sources. For further assistance in determining whether or not a site is scholarly, please access the Evaluating Web Resources tutorial on the Ashford University Library website.
Writing the Case Study Selection
- Must be one to two double-spaced pages in length and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. View the Critical Thinking Community website for further assistance.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis and summarizes supporting evidence.
- Must use at least one scholarly source.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- I choose is Case Study #1 Clinical Psychology: Severe Depression Joe is suffering from severe depression. His father, grandmother, and two uncles suffered with the same abnormal condition. One of Joe’s uncles committed suicide as a result. Joe’s depression started after he was laid off from work, and became disabling when his wife divorced him taking their kids and their home. Case Study#2 Health Psychology: Stress & Coping Jamiel missed his bus, had to walk to work, and was 30 minutes late. Feeling rushed for his first presentation to the new boss, he went to the computer to print out his notes so he could compose himself.