This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
• CO 3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (POs 4 and 8)
• CO 5: Analyze the nursing roles in providing comprehensive care in a variety of community health settings. (PO 1)
Community health nurses practice in a variety of settings. Choose one of the following CH settings, and describe what you have learned about the setting and the role(s) of the nurse in that setting (see Nies & McEwen, 2019, Chapters 30-34).
Please do not choose occupational health nursing for this discussion because your paper is on occupational health nursing.
• Correctional nursing
• Home health nursing
• School Nursing
• Forensic nursing
• Hospice nursing
• Faith community nursing
Next study levels of prevention in this week’s lesson (primary, secondary, and tertiary). Note that the term primary is used differently than in normal conversation.
• Describe one of the levels of prevention, and discuss how a community health nurse (CHN) in the setting you discussed can implement this level of prevention.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2019). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (7th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
Professor’s comment: Hello Class,
This week, we are exploring the Healthy People Objectives for Community Settings. Please take a moment to reflect on the below questions and share your thoughts.
- Have you had experience working in any of these settings? Please identify the type of setting and share your experiences with us. Keep confidentiality in mind; do not share specific names or locations of agencies.
- There are organizations that help to guide nursing practice in specific settings. Visit one of the organization’s websites and find information about the professional standards and educational requirements. Remember to cite your source for the information. Share this information with the group and consider what challenges might be encountered when trying to attain these standards.
References: American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2019). Community/public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (7 ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.