“Mitochondria, Water, Molecules, and Cell Structures”
Note: Online students, please respond to one (1) of the following four (4) bulleted options.
- The cell is comprised of very important components including the mitochondria. Please view this video describing mitochondrial disease which is found here. Keep in mind that one of the symptoms of mitochondrial disease is fatigue (weak and tired). Next discuss two (2) functions of mitochondria and why you believe each of these functions is important. Then explain two (2) ways that the inability of mitochondria to perform their proper function can account for mitochondrial disease symptoms. Justify your response.
- Water is essential to life. Briefly discuss three (3) properties of water then explain what is meant by the structure of water accounting for each of its properties. Next choose one (1) of the properties of water below and explain two (2) ways the property can be useful for living systems.
- High Specific Heat
- Floating Ice
- Good Solvent Properties
- Dissociation of water molecules
- Are you really what you eat? Many of us have heard the saying, “you are what you eat”. Please view the quick crash course on carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins here then describe the processes needed to distinguish whether a biological molecule is a carbohydrate, lipid, or protein. Next consider your daily intake of foods this week and note the various carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins you ingested. Discuss three (3) ways that your diet relates to the molecules of life and their function. Justify your response.
- Consider three (3) structures and functions of a cell then provide a 100 to 250 word explanation based on the following question: “How do varied membrane composition and the structural features of molecules in different cells contribute to membrane function?”
REPLY TO THIS STATMENT
Water is essential to life. Briefly discuss three (3) properties of water then explain what is meant by the structure of water accounting for each of its properties. Next choose one (1) of the properties of water below and explain two (2) ways the property can be useful for living systems.
High Specific Heat
Good Solvent Properties
Dissociation of water molecules
Three properties of water would be solvents, cohesions, and temperature. A solvent is a liquid that helps water absorb molecules. This is essential because our bodies need water to survive, and solvents helps our bodies absorb that water. Cohesions help molecules stick together and helps water rise. Temperature is an important property because water helps stabilize temperatures. This helps to protect molecules because they can only survive in some temperatures. I believe good solvent properties are useful for living systems because they are essential for life. Solvents help water absorb molecules which our bodies need to survive.