Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) has become a big concern in hospitals throughout the country and the world, as have other antibiotic resistant bacterial strains.
- The use, overuse, and abuse of antibiotics is accredited with creating these antibiotic resistant strains. Explain how this relates to natural selection.
- Describe 1–2 of the things that people do (you can include individuals, doctors, health care professionals, hospitals, farmers, etc.) that contribute to this problem? Why?
- How can you prevent or slow down the spread and further the selection of new antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria?
- Are there things that you can personally do to reduce your risk or even to reduce the spread of these dangerous microbes?
- What is your reaction to the following sign that is commonly found in restrooms? Is it significant to the discussion of antibiotic resistance?
(Free Sinage, 2006)
Provide references in APA format. This includes a reference list and in-text citations for references used throughout the assignment.
In your own words, please post responses to the Discussion Board posts of at least two of your classmates. Responses must be substantive, i.e. say something of substance that advances the discussion about the concepts. You will be graded on the quality of your postings.
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, the AIU Library, Web resources, and all course materials. Please refer to the following:
- Understanding Evolution
- Observed Instance of Speciation
- University of California Museum of Paleontology