Without a doubt, in your role as a child development professional, you will be working with children, their families, and the community. Throughout this learning week, we have focused on different types of family structures and strategies for engaging with those unique family structures to support a child’s learning and development. Now, we want to take that idea and expand it to working with families and the community in general. Imagine you have been contacted by a school to put together a presentation for the next Parent Teacher Organization. They have asked for your presentation to focus on two main ideas: how to create and sustain partnerships with families and the community and how these partnerships influence the learning and development of children.
Step One: Choose one of the schools below to use as the basis for your presentation:
Lincoln Elementary School: Lincoln Elementary School is located in Gilbert, Arizona. Gilbert is a relatively large city with a strong sense of family and community. The school has a population of 765 students from PreK to sixth grade. At Lincoln Elementary School, 94% of the students are eligible for free and/or reduced lunch, and 58% of the students are second language learners. The majority of the students at Lincoln Elementary School are Hispanic (93%). Five percent of the student population is white, and 2% is American Indian.
Higley High School: Higley High School is located in Elmhurst, Illinois. Elmhurst is a medium-sized city with a strong farming community. The school has a population of 1,500 students in the 9th through 12th grades. At Higley High School, 22% of the students are eligible for free and/or reduced lunch, and 1% of the students are second language learners. The majority of the students at Higley High School are white (63%). Twenty-two percent of students are Hispanic, 6% Black, 5% Asian, and 4% American Indian.
Step Two: Now that you know the audience for your presentation, write a document presentatin thay has
- At least one paragraph that describes the period of development this presentation focuses on.
- At least two paragraph that explains your role as a child development professional.
- At least one paragraph with a rationale for your presentation that is supported by either the class text or an additional scholarly source. Make sure that you properly format your in-text citations according to APA style.
- At least two paragraphs that explains the Mesosystem from Bronfenbrenner’s Ecological System for parents to understand how families, schools, and the community are connected.
- At least one paragrpahs that introduces Epstein’s Types of Involvement.
- At least one paragraph for each of Epstein’s Types of Involvement that describes:
- The name of the type of involvement.
- How this type of involvement influences a child’s learning and development.
- One idea the school or community could implement right away that aligns with the cultures represented at the school.
- At least five graphics that enhance visual appeal.