Perception of Gender
Gender, as a term and a social concept, has taken many different forms and meanings over time. Your personal experience and expression of gender may be reflective of your generation and the sociopolitical landscape during the influential development stages of your life.
This assignment will allow you to expand your knowledge base and support your acquisition of various expressions and experiences related to gender.
Select a person from a different generation than yourself. Schedule a thirty-minute interview with that person.
Using the module readings, the online library resources, and the Internet, research the evolution of the concept of gender over generations. Select at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed resources for use in this assignment.
During the interview, ask the following questions:
- What does the term gender mean to you? How does it differ from sex?
- How has gender played a part in the understanding of your role and responsibilities at home and at work?
- How was gender conceived of when you were a teenager and what differences do you see in today’s youth regarding gender roles?
- How was gender discussed in your household when growing up? If you have children, how have you communicated gender to them?
- In your estimation, what has been the greatest accomplishment for your gender in achieving equality or equal footing regarding career and family advancement?
During your interview, be aware that the person’s responses could be reactions to the advancements of the opposite gender and the impact he or she experienced. An example would be men’s experiences of child rearing as more mothers enter and excel in corporate environments.
Complete the following:
- Analyze the person’s ability to communicate about gender issues and the role gender has played in his or her life as a member of society.
- Compare and contrast the person’s views on gender with those of your generation. Explain the reasons for the differences.
- Integrate the interview responses throughout your narrative as necessary by summarizing them and utilizing quotes.
In your analysis, be sure to integrate ideas and concepts from your independent research as well as the module readings with your findings from the interview.
Write a 3-page paper in Word format. Apply APA standards to the formatting of your paper and the citation of sources. Remember to include a cover page and reference page in APA format.
|Assignment 3 Grading Criteria||
|Evaluated the interviewee’s ability to communicate about gender issues and the role of gender in his or her life.||
|Developed a comparative analysis of perceptions of gender across generations.||
|Supported assertions giving reasons based on research. Referenced at least two scholarly, peer-reviewed resources.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||