Why not you? Why not now?
For this project, you will be running for office. Choose whether you would like to run for the Texas House of Representatives OR the Texas State Senate. We will be doing the project in chunks, as we cover the material in class, so tasks may be assigned out of sequence.
Preparing to run: SLO #1
- Know your district. Go to: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx, and discover the district number, and who represents you in the Texas house or state senate.
- Go to your current representative’s page, and look at the district analyses documents.
- What does your district look like (in terms of population, age, education, employment, election results
- What issues arise based upon the district’s demographics (this will help you think about your platform)
Your Platform, and Party Politics:
- Know yourself. Take these surveys to identify your political leanings:
- Submit screenshots or jpgs of your results.
- Given your results, and your previous district analysis research, what’s your platform? Choose at least 3 issue stands to develop.
- Compare your issue stands with the official party platforms of your party:
- Texas Democratic Party platform: http://www.txdemocrats.org/our-party/texas-democratic-party-platform/
- Texas Republican Party platform: https://www.texasgop.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PERM-PLATFORM.pdf
- Where do your ideas align with the party?
- Where do your ideas diverge from the party?