In this week’s assignment, you will write a proposal for grant funding to address issues related to ensuring student success when they come from families of immigrants or from different cultures.
The following video provides a discussion on immigrant parents, culture clashes, and how to work with these parents as partners:
Parenting Across Cultures: The Different Ways We Raise Our Children (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJic9NrYk0Y)
Be prepared to take note of:
- The expectations of immigrant parents
- The challenges in adjusting to new dominant culture
- How children adjust to cultural change
- The impact of the family environment on children and their identity
After viewing the video, review:
- Chapters 7 and 8
- The article by Bang, Suárez-Orozco & O’Connor (2011)
- The article by Pate (1981)
Devise a strategy or series of strategies by which you can support immigrant students and their families in your future classroom. In this plan you must:
- Summarize the needs of all of your students regardless of how many generations they are away from their native culture or cultural heritage.
- Strategize ways to engage families and truly partner with them in terms of their child’s academic success. This can be as simple as agreeing to connect on a regular basis or as unique as creating class events where parents share their culture, language, and heritage.
- Present a budget that accounts for all money, showing how it will be spent. You may wish to include items such as: printing, mailing, meeting expenses, etc.
Present a three- to five-page proposal, not including the title and reference pages, in essay format with the goal of being awarded grant funding of $5,000. This essay is formal and must include current research. Use the sources presented in this assignment as well as at least one additional scholarly source to strengthen your argument. All money must be accounted for in your proposal; therefore, you must show where the money will go (how it will be spent). The goal of the grant is to partner with parents representing diverse cultures or immigrant status to ensure their students’ academic success. Your proposal must be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.