Which of these is the smallest structure?
A. Amino acid
2. Any energy transformation involves the loss of some energy as
C. electric charge.
3. Which one of the following molecules is a by-product of cellular respiration?
4. The following atoms are all variations of the element carbon: 12C, 13C, and 14C due to differing numbers of neutrons. What are these variations called?
5. When a scientific experiment is carried out in a controlled setting, all variables are kept the same except for the _______ variable.
6. Which of the following is a true difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
A. Eukaryotic cells are more ancient.
B. Eukaryotic cells are less complex.
C. Eukaryotic cells are smaller.
D. Eukaryotic cells have true nuclei.
7. In a eukaryotic cell, protein synthesis occurs in the
A. nuclear envelope.
C. smooth endoplasmic reticulum.
8. Nucleic acids are composed of monomers called
A. base pairs.
B. amino acids.
9. Which one of the following is a trans fatty acid found in most snack foods?
A. Carboxyl acid
B. Elaidic acid
C. Oleic acid
D. Stearic acid
10. The structure that surrounds the cytoplasm in a bacterial cell is the
A. cell wall.
D. plasma membrane.
11. Which of these statements most accurately describes how carbon dioxide enters a leaf?
2 is pulled in by leaf veins. B. CO2 defuses by way of the stomata.
2 enters a leaf through osmosis. D. CO2 is carried by water in leaf veins.
12. The Calvin cycle of photosynthesis begins when
A. the reduction of carbon dioxide occurs.
B. electrons leave a photosystem.
C. light becomes available.
D. carbon dioxide is attached to RuBP.
End of exam
13. Which of the following is true about bases?
A. They release hydroxide ions in solution.
B. They have a sharp or sour taste.
C. They help to build up cells.
D. They tend to decrease the pH of a solution.
14. The two major sets of reactions involved in photosynthesis are
A. light reactions and the electron transport chain.
B. glycolysis and the citric acid cycle.
C. Calvin cycle reactions and citric acid cycles.
D. light reactions and Calvin cycle reactions.
15. Which one of the following is an example of a monosaccharide?