Managing Healthcare Professionals Case Study:
Dr. O’Connor was known for his hot temper and drinking. Although he claimed never to come to work under the influence, nurses, physicians, and other coworkers had their doubts, and several expressed their alarm to their supervisors. The emergency room needed coverage, and it was hard to find physicians who would work the graveyard shift, so little was done to address these concerns. One night, Dr. O’Connor walked across a clearly marked wet floor that the custodian had just mopped. When the angry janitor protested loudly and pointed to the bright yellow sign and the offending footprints, Dr. O’Connor took a swing at the other man and a fistfight ensued.
Case Study adapted from:
Buchbinder, S. B. & Shanks, N. H. (2017). Introduction to health care management. 3rd Ed. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Address the following in 2–3 pages:
- Identify the key facts in the case study.
- As the administrator managing Dr. O’Connor’s department, how would you go about handling the situation? Be sure to support your answer with managerial concepts.
- Should Dr. O’Connor be referred to— for example— anger management, Alcoholics Anonymous, psychiatric evaluation or something similar? Provide rationale for your response.
- Explain how as a healthcare leader you would turn this incident into a “teachable experience” for your staff.
Include an introduction and conclusion paragraph in your paper.
SLP Assignment Expectations
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to justify/support your responses.
- Limit your response to a maximum of 3 pages.
- Support your proposal with peer-reviewed articles with 2 or 3 references.