Life on the Benthos I: Marine Plants and Invertebrates
1. Describe how marine algae are different from terrestrial plants. How are they similar? What are the three major phyla? What are the differences between these groups?
2. Plants in the phylum Anthophyta are rare in marine environments. What are the types of plants found in and very close marine habitats? What are the major adaptations for these plants to marine environments?
3. Marine algae and plants are important in marine habitats. Discuss three reasons why this is the case. Be sure to include examples to highlight your major points.
4. Sponges were not always taxonomically placed in the Kingdom Animalia. Why are sponges different from the rest of the animal kingdom? What are the key characteristics for the organisms in the Phylum Porifera? What are the major subgroups, and how are they different?
5. Lastly, organisms cannot, will not, do not live in isolation. All life depends on other organisms (either directly or indirectly) rely on others for survival. What are the animals that consume sponges? Describe one way sponges contribute to the organism diversity of their habitats (this will require some investigation on your part)? Be sure to use examples in your response.
this should be typed (or word-processed), with one inch margins. Use a standard font (e.g. Times New Roman or Courier, 12 cpi) The assignment is turned in at the “turn it in ” website, so NO PLAGIARISM, please. APA format, Single spaced, 4 pages.
The pdf attached , as well as credible websites online can be used for the responses.