Mental Status Plan
You are a newly recruited intern counselor at a correctional facility where Michael was committed for 18 months for the conviction of burglary. Upon arrest, Michael tested positive for marijuana and heroin. You are assigned Michael’s case. You review his case history and discuss it with your supervisor in detail. You then decide to draw up a list of 15–20 questions to ask Michael to assess the areas of need that his treatment plan should address. Before you ask him the questions you decide to get input from your supervisor. Devise an assessment and interview plan. Include what assessment screen tool, as discussed in the module lecture, you have chosen to use during the assessment. Be sure to explore the screening tools link which has a listing of over 15 different screening tools in the module lecture. Your questions must cover his psychosocial history and include a rationale for each question included.
Case information on Michael:
- 50 years old
- 5 prior convictions of: disorderly conduct, attempted burglary, drug possession, driving under the influence and receiving stolen property.
- Michael has never been treated for addiction
Be sure to include the following items in your report:
- A review of the case.
- Details of your assessment plan: What areas of need your treatment plan should address, specific instruments selected, along with reasons for selecting them.
- In your interview plan include a summary of the components of the MSE and at least 15 additional questions to assess the client’s psychosocial history.
- A rationale for selecting each question in the interview.
- Justify your ideas by using appropriate examples and references from text, appropriate professional field-related Web sites.
- Answer the questions in a logical, organized manner.
Your report should be at least 3 pages long. Remember to include a cover page and reference page, and to support your arguments with information drawn from the online content, the textbook, and other credible, scholarly sources to substantiate the points you are making. Apply APA standards for writing and citations to your work.
Submit your response to the M2: Assignment 2 Dropbox by Wednesday, July 27, 2016. Name your assignment as follows: LastName_FirstInitial_PSY494_M2A2.doc
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Provided a summary of the components of a mental status examination.||
|Included a brief review of case information.||
|Selected instruments and specified why the particular instruments were selected in terms of validity and applicability.||
|Provided an interview plan which included components of the MSE and at least 15 questions to ask Michael during the assessment with rationale for each question.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources, displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||