Assignment 1: LASA 2—Exceptionality Presentation
In this course, you have learned about a range of exceptionalities in children. For this assignment, you will have the opportunity to gain a more in-depth understanding of a particular exceptionality.
The local public school has asked you to give a presentation to parents or teachers about a specific exceptionality of your choice.
The presentation should cover at least two peer-reviewed articles. Select an exceptionality for this assignment and provide the following information in your presentation:
- Describe the exceptionality, including its identification and assessment.
- Explain the incidence of exceptionality in children, including known causes or those hypothesized in peer-reviewed research.
- Describe the cultural considerations in identification, assessment, and intervention.
- Hypothesize the prognosis.
- Recommend interventions for the following areas:
- At school
- In the community
- At home
- From early childhood through transition into adulthood
While developing the presentation, keep in mind individual differences and strengths, culturally and linguistically diverse populations, and ethical or legal issues in identification, assessment, and intervention. Be sure to include detailed speaker notes to accompany each slide to elaborate on the talking points being raised in the slide.