NR 443 Complete Course Week 1 to 7
NR 443 Week 1 DQ 1 :
Healthy People 2020 (Graded)
The federal government developed Healthy People as a set of national health objectives that are periodically evaluated to measure progress in the nation’s health goals and healthcare services. HP 2020 has a renewed focus on identifying, measuring, tracking, and reducing health disparities through a determinants-of-health approach.
This week, please briefly discuss a Healthy People 2020 objective under the topic area of your choice. Go to www.healthypeople.gov and select any one of the objectives under the topic area of your interest. Using the local, national, or international news, describe actions you, as a community health nurse, could take in formulating policy changes to help promote the objective you have selected. Cite references to support your views.
NR 443 Week 1 DQ 2 :
Determinants of Health (Graded)
Healthy People 2020 identified four Foundation Health Measures (FHM) that reflect the major health concerns in the United States. The third FHM isDeterminants of Health. The description of Determinants of Health is:
“A range of personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that influence health status are known as determinants of health. Determinants of health include such things as biology, genetics, individual behavior, access to health services, and the environment in which people are born, live, learn, play, work, and age” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, n.d., About Determinants of Health section, para. 1).
Go to the “Learn More About Determinants of Health” (http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/about/DOHAbout.aspx ) and choose one of the five Determinants of Health that you feel is most important for community health. In your posting, share the determinant of health and the rationale for your choice. Remember to cite any references used for developing your rationale.
NR 443 Week 2 DQ 1 :
Census Data and Epidemiological Data (Graded)
Go online to the U.S. Census Bureau atwww.census.gov. Obtain information about the demographic characteristics of the population for your county of residence. Once you are on the website, choose the link to “QuickFacts”, and from there you can choose state, county, and city data. You may have to look at county data if your city is not listed. There is also a tab where you can see U.S. comparable data, too.
Include information about age, income, housing, and education. Post a brief summary of the key demographic characteristics of the population in your county (do not copy and paste directly from the website) and apply these data to your community by answering the following questions:
- How do the data from your county compare to the sets of data from the other counties posted by other students in your discussion group?
- Based on the demographic data, what health needs might you anticipate for the population in your county?
NR 443 Week 2 DQ 2 :
Communicable Diseases (Graded)
Review the levels of prevention of communicable diseases discussed in Chapter 25 (Nies& McEwen, 2011). Choose a communicable disease objective listed within theHealthy People 2020 topic area (p. 492). Discuss a role (function) that you, as a CHN, could play in implementing the objective. What community health nursing intervention would you implement? Describe at least two levels of prevention you could address and how you can address them.
NR 443 Caring for Populations: Milestone 1: Community Windshield Survey Form
Directions: Please refer to the Milestone 1: Community Windshield Survey Guidelines and grading rubric found in Doc Sharing for specific instructions in order to complete the information below. This assignment is worth 150 points.
Type your name above and your answers below directly on this form. Click Save as and save the file with the assignment name and your last name (e.g., “NR443 Windshield Survey Form_Smith”). When you are finished, submit the form to the Week 2 Caring for Populations: Windshield Survey Dropbox by the deadline indicated in your guidelines.
- Community introduction:
Identify the community you will be using for this assignment. It should be the area where you live or the area surrounding your work setting.
- Windshield survey
- Indicators of social and economic conditions
- Health resources
- Environmental conditions related to health
- Social functioning
- Attitude toward healthcare
Provide a summary of your findings and your conclusion. What problems did you identify?
OPTIONAL: List any references that you cited.
NR 443 Week 3 DQ 1 :
Collaborating With the Community (Graded)
Identify a community or aggregate you are currently involved with at home (personal life) or at work. Cite some major value, major strengths, and health needs of your community or aggregate. How could a nurse work collaboratively with a community to build on these strengths and facilitate community empowerment? Keep in mind the different methods of community outreach the nurse could utilize.
Please note: According to Nies and McEwan (2011), the definition of an aggregate is a “community composed of people who share common characteristics” (p.92). Remember, aggregates do not necessarily know or interact with one another, but share a common bond such as religious belief, age, life experience, illness, etc.
NR 443 Week 3 DQ 2 :
Assurance is one of the three core functions of public health. Knowing what resources are available is part of this function. Find a resource in your community that could be used as a referral source and share information about the services provided. Who is eligible for the services? What could be done in order to improve the accessibility, acceptability, affordability, or availability of this resource in your community? Make sure to address all four of the A’s in your posting.
NR 443 Week 4 DQ 1 :
Concerns for the School Nurse (Graded)
As the school nurse role continues to evolve, there are increasingly more health concerns for the school nurse. Does the locale make a difference in the problems, or are health problems in children and adolescents universal? In some inner-city areas, poor nutrition is a prevalent issue. What do you think are the biggest problems in your areas?
NR 443 Week 4 DQ 2 :
Nurse’s Role in Community Health Settings (Graded)
When caring for populations in community settings, the nurse has many different roles, such as advocate, case manager, educator, researcher, administrator, and so on. Choose one of the community healthcare settings from your textbook or lessons and discuss how one of these roles might be carried out by the community health nurse in the setting you chose.
NR443 Guidelines for Caring for Populations
Milestone 2: Assessment and Diagnosis
The purpose of this paper is to provide an opportunity to utilize community assessment strategies, uncover a community health problem, and identify the components of the problem related to the community dynamics.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO 1. Evaluate the planning of delivery of care to individuals, families, aggregates, and communities in a variety of healthcare settings based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO 1)
CO2. Integrate clinical judgment in professional decision-making and implementation of the nursing process through analysis of community health nursing practice. (PO 4)
CO7. Accept accountability for personal and professional development as part of the life-long learning process. (PO 5)
This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list). Typical papers are usually three pages. Below are the requirements for successful completion of this paper.
- Introduction: This should catch the reader’s attention with interesting facts and supporting sources and include the purpose statement of the paper. This should be no more than one or two paragraphs.
- Community: Identify the community by name that you will be using for this paper and provide a brief, general description of the community. Your community should be the area where you live or work. This should be one or two paragraphs.
- Demographic and epidemiological data: Compile a range of demographic (population description) and epidemiological (causes of health problems and death) data for your community by examining census reports, vital statistic reports, city records, morbidity and mortality reports, and other agency sources. Using these data, describe the community and the problem. Compare your community data to state or national data. This comparison will help to identify a community health problem specific to your community. A summary of these data should beno more than one page.
- Windshield survey: Provide a brief summary of the findings from your first assignment. Make sure to discuss elements that link your observations to your identified problem. This should be no more than one or two paragraphs.
- Problem: Using the assessment data, identify the problem that you consider to be a priority concern. Provide a rationale for your choice and relate your choice to one of the Healthy People 2020 specific numbered objectives. Healthy People objectives are located within a topic area under the Objectives page. Your rationale should also include why this is specifically a problem in your community. This should be no more than three paragraphs. Include support of your rationale with at least two scholarly sources such as professional journal articles related to your problem.
- Summary: The summary paragraph of your paper should include a statement about the problem, the population at risk for this problem, and the major direct or indirect factors that contribute to this problem. This information should be no more than one or two paragraphs.
- Reference page: All references cited within the paper should be included on a separate References page.
- Application: Use Microsoft Word 2010™ to create this assignment.
- Use the categories above as APA headings for the sections of your paper.
- Length: This paper is expected to be no more than four pages in length (not including the title page and reference list). Typical papers are three pages.
- Submission: Submit your file via the basket in the Dropbox: Caring for Populations: Assessment and Diagnosis by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday of Week 4.
- Technical writing: APA format is required. Review APA tutorials in Doc Sharing and use the resources of Smarthinking for writing tutors.
- Do not use first person (I, me, my, our) in this paper. Make the community the subject even in your windshield survey summary.
- Save your paper with your last name in the document title (e.g., “Smith Assessment and Diagnosis”).
- Late submission: See the course policy on late submissions.
Best Practices in Preparing the Paper
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
- Complete the demographic, epidemiologic, and windshield survey prior to choosing a problem to focus on.
- Choose a nursing problem specific to your community.
- Make sure all elements of the paper are addressed and headings for each category are included.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Cite all sources within the paper as well as on the References page.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Use the A column of the rubric below to ensure that you have included all the needed elements.
- Abide by the CCN academic integrity policy.
NR 443 Week 5 DQ 1 :
Vulnerable Populations (Graded)
As nurses, we all know what we should do to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but often knowledge does not translate into actual behavior. Vulnerable populations may face additional individual and/or societal barriers to being healthy. What are those barriers? What can nurses do to overcome some of the barriers that you identified?
NR 443 Week 5 DQ 2 :
Priority Setting When Working With Vulnerable Populations (Graded)
This week, we have discussed many different vulnerable populations. Choose a vulnerable population and discuss what you think the top three priorities are for a CHN working with them. Cite at least one scholarly reference that supports your decision.
NR 443 Week 6 DQ 1 :
Environmental Pollutants (Graded)
Visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Envirofacts website athttp://www.epa.gov/enviro/ . Enter your city, zip code, or location. Explore the site to learn more about your environment and things that might be impacting the health of its citizens. Identify something new you learned about your environment and how it could be affecting health by completing this statement, “I didn’t know ____.” How could you, in the role of a community health nurse, address these concerns?
NR 443 Week 6 DQ 2 :
Disaster Preparedness (Graded)
Visit the websitehttp://www.ready.gov . Review the steps for being prepared for a disaster. As a community health nurse, what elements do you think are important to stress to the community? How is your community preparing for a potential disaster, or how has it prepared?
NR 443 Milestone 3: Intervention and Evaluation
The purpose of this PowerPoint presentation is to provide an opportunity to develop a community health nursing intervention and evaluation tool for your identified community health problem (described in Milestone 2: Assessment and Diagnosis) and identify the components of the nursing process as it applies to a community or population.
You are a Community/Public Health Nurse (C/PHN) working in your setting of choice. You have identified a community health problem and have analyzed the data collected from your windshield survey and assessment & diagnosis assignments (the first two milestones). You have decided on one nursing intervention and need your organization’s approval for funding of this intervention. Your leadership team has agreed to listen to your proposal.
- Choose a community health nurse setting. Some examples of settings are school nurse, parish nurse, home health nurse, nurse working in the health department (be specific to what area in the health department, e.g., WIC, STD clinic, health promotion, maternal-child health, etc.)
- Introduction: Introduce the identified problem, the purpose of the presentation, and reiterate at least one or two important findings that demonstrate this problem in your community (average of 1–2 slides)
- Proposed Intervention: Propose one community health nursingintervention that would address one or more of the major direct or indirect factors that contribute to the problem. Keep in mind the Public Health Intervention Wheel (Nies& McEwen, p. 14, figure 1-3) as your framework (average of 3-4 slides). Your intervention needs to be specific:
o Who is your target population?
o Where is this intervention taking place?
o Will it take place one time or multiple times?
o How will you reach out to your target population?
- How will you get your target population involved?
o What is the CH Nurses role in this intervention?
o Will you collaborate with anyone (e.g., physician’s office, church, local resources, etc.?)
o Is anyone else involved besides yourself (C/PHN)?
- If yes, are they paid or volunteers?
o What level(s) of prevention is your intervention addressing (primary, secondary and/or tertiary prevention)?
- Intervention Justification: Justify why the problem and your nursing interventions should be a priority.
o Based on what you have found in the literature, discuss why these interventions are expected to be effective. Include summarized information from at least two professional scholarly sources related to your interventions (average of 2-3 slides).
- Proposed Evaluation: Your presentation must include at least one proposed quantitative or qualitative evaluation method that you would use to determine whether your intervention is effective. It should include the method you would use along with desired outcomes. Outcome measurement is a crucial piece when implementing interventions. There is a helpful tool in Doc Sharing to assist you with understanding qualitative and quantitative methods of evaluation. (average of 2-3 slides)
o Include discussion about the long-term and short-term impact on your community if the intervention is successful. Keep in mind your desired outcomes when analyzing the evaluation.
- Summary: The summary should reiterate the main points of the presentation and conclude with what you are asking to be accomplished, e.g., “Based on ABC, it is imperative our community has XYZ. Thank you for your consideration.”
- In addition to the slides described above, your presentation should include a title slide, and reference slide. Remember, you are presenting to your leadership team, so the slides should include the most important elements for them to know in short bullet pointed phrases. You may add additional comments in the notes section to clarify information for your instructor.
- Application: Use Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.
- Length: The PowerPoint slide show is expected to be no more than 20 slides in length (not including the title slide and reference list slide).
- Submission: Submit your files via the basket in the Dropbox: “Caring for Populations: Intervention and Evaluation” by 11:59 p.m. Sunday of Week 6.
- Save the assignment with your last name in the file title. Example: “Smith Intervention and Evaluation”
- Late Submission: See the course policy on late submissions.
- Tutorial: If needed, Microsoft Office has many templates and tutorials to help you get started.
Best Practices in Preparing PowerPoint
The following are best practices in preparing this project:
- Be creative, but realistic with your intervention and evaluation tool.
- Incorporate graphics, clip art or photographs to increase interest.
- Slides should be easy to read with short bullet points and large font.
- Review directions thoroughly.
- Cite all sources within the slide show as well as on the reference page.
- Proofread prior to final submission.
- Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
- Abide by the CCN academic integrity policy.
NR 443 Week 7 DQ 1 :
How Do You Define Health? (Graded)
Think about how you define health. Do you think your definition is universal, or is it specific to your culture and/or beliefs? How might another culture’s definition differ?
NR 443 Week 7 DQ 2 :
Affordable Healthcare (Graded)
Please explore the website www.healthcare.gov. Choose the “Get Answers” tab towards the top of the page. Please review several of the topics under this tab and share something that you learned about how the Marketplace works and how this would apply to those in your community.
The Affordable Care Act is a controversial topic and I’m sure there are many different viewpoints represented in our class. For this discussion, let’s focus on understanding the basics of the Marketplace so that we can provide accurate information for our patients and communities.