Week 7 Family Support Group Meeting
Locate an open recovery/support group that includes families in your local community. Attend one of the group’s meeting. The group can be for any type of substance or process addiction and does not have to be a 12-step meeting but it should be a support group that includes family members. It does however need to be a support group to help with the recovery from any addictive disorder. Ensure that the meeting is considered “open” prior to attending it.
Please Note: It is not appropriate to take notes while in a group session, so please refrain and just take notes for yourself immediately after the meeting.
Write a two-part paper of 750-1,000 words that summarize your experience at the meeting. Be sure to include important concepts presented in the meeting while maintaining the privacy of all group participants. Include the following in your paper:
Part One: Summarize the Meeting
- Include the address, date, start time, and end time of meeting
- Describe the format of the meeting that you attended
- Describe the contents of the meeting
- List all key speakers
Part Two: Discuss Concepts and Methods
- Identify the major concepts/methods utilized in the group. For example, are their books utilized, prayers utilized, principles or guidelines or any rituals utilized?
- Explain the purpose of each concept/method
- Describe each of the following: Closed meeting, open meeting, steps, sponsor, and home group. Please note: These terms are specific to AA and NA.
- Include at least three scholarly resources in addition to the textbook in your paper
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.