Select one type of pediatric cancer to evaluate. Consider how a cancer diagnosis and treatment might affect the psychological, emotional, and behavioral functioning of children and adolescents and their families. (5-7 PAGES)
· Describe the type of pediatric cancer you selected and explain its signs and symptoms, treatment, and prognosis.
· Explain how a pediatric cancer diagnosis might impact the psychological, emotional, and behavioral functioning of children and adolescents and their families.
· Explain how pediatric cancer treatment might impact the psychological, emotional, and behavioral functioning of children and adolescents and their families.
· Support your responses with the Learning Resources and other current literature.
· Support your assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
· Katz, E. R., Kellerman, J., & Siegel, S. E. (1980) Behavioral distress in children with cancer undergoing medical procedures: Developmental considerations. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 48(3), 356–365. doi: 10.1037/0022-006X.48.3.356
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. (2012) Facts about childhood cancer. Pediatric Cancer Genome Project. Retrieved from http://www.pediatriccancergenomeproject.org/site/facts-childhood-cancer
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute (2008). Childhood Cancers [Fact sheet 6.40]. Retrieved from http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Sites-Types/FS6_40.pdf