Assignment 1: PERSEREC Study Analysis
Defense Personnel and Security Research Center (PERSEREC) was established by the Department of Defense (DoD) to improve the effectiveness, efficiency, and fairness of the DoD personnel security system. PERSEREC is a component of the Defense Human Resources Activity (DHRA) under the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness). It employs researchers to conduct applied research to improve the DoD Personnel Security Program. One of those research programs maintains a database on espionage. Familiarizing yourself with this organization is essential in understanding how espionage is studied in the U.S.
Review the following article:
- Herbig, K. L. (2008). Changes in espionage by Americans: 1947–2007
(Technical Report No. 08-05). Monterey, CA: US Department of
Defense, Defense Personnel Security Research Center. Retrieved
In a minimum of 300 words, respond to the following:
- Examine the information in the PERSEREC study and review the executive summary of the report in detail.
- Explain why, you believe, the shifts in data from 1990 have now occurred. In other words, what is going on globally, psychologically, or culturally to explain these data shifts? Use examples of data shifts from the study.
Your responses should include at least two scholarly resources from the professional literature. The literature may include the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu, .org, or .gov).
- By Saturday, July 26, 2014, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Through Wednesday, July 30, 2014, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, identify the similarities and differences between what you have constructed and what your classmates have.