By Saturday, November 22, 2014, respond to the assigned discussion questions and submit your responses to the appropriate topic in this Discussion Area. You should quote or paraphrase from specific pages in the course text to support your claims about philosophical ideas and concepts, using correct APA citation. Start reviewing and responding to your classmates and the facilitator as early in the week as possible.
Address the following in a three-page paper:
- Identify a film, book, television show, or other form of media/art that involves characters/narrators reflecting upon the nature of identity and the self. Cite the media using correct APA citation.
- Explain at least one theory of identity from this week’s readings. For example, you might discuss rationalism, empiricism, or phenomenology. Cite support from the primary text selections in the chapter as well as authoritative secondary sources such as the course text and online lectures.
- Analyze the media using at least one of the theories of identity or freedom from this week’s readings and lectures.
- You may want to consider the following questions while choosing a relevant theory and analyzing the media:
- Do the characters doubt their own existence or their ability to know themselves and the world around them?
- Do the characters/narrator reflect upon whether they exist and how they know what they know?
- To what extent do the following factors impact their sense of self: emotions, past experiences, rationality, other people, race, gender, socio-economic status, ethnicity, and religion?
- Are they conscious of themselves as having a “self?”
Submit your assignment to the Discussion Area by Saturday, November 22, 2014.