Imagine you are working in a community agency and would like to offer a counseling or psychotherapy group. A survey of clients revealed that there is a community need to address the following group topics:
- Traumatic loss and bereavement.
- Management of anger and impulse issues.
- At risk behaviors for youth.
- Intimate partner violence.
- Eating disorders.
Select one topic and focus on a specific population impacted. For example, you may identify age, gender, sexual orientation, or ethnicity that group members may have in common in addition to the focus of the group. As a first step to propose the group to your supervisor, you will analyze the current group literature to provide a rationale for offering either a counseling or psychotherapy group. Please note that a psychoeducational group does not meet the requirements for the assignments in this course.
We will assume that your supervisor is looking for you to carefully study what has already been written about similar groups before you develop any specific plans for the proposed group. Utilize the Unit 3 Assignment Paper Template for this assignment and review the scoring guide.
Locate peer-reviewed articles published within the past seven years from professional journals that present a range of group counseling approaches for your topic. Compare the sources based on the strength of the group leadership approach and specific counseling theories presented. Present a clear analysis of how specific ethical and diversity issues will be relevant to the proposed group citing the relevant ethical standards.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication must be grammatically correct and free of errors that detract from the overall message. Writing should be consistent with graduate level scholarship.
- APA formatting: Title page, main body, and references should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of six scholarly resources. Distinguished submissions typically exceed this minimum.
- Length of paper: 5–7 typed, double-spaced pages. Abstract and Table of Contents are not necessary.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.