To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review the assigned pages in Chapters 10 and 11 of the course text, Experiencing the Lifespan.
•Think about traditional relationships, cohabiting, and homosexual relationships.
• Think about the modern ways people find each other.
• Think about marriage statistics.
• Consider factors that promote enduring relationships, including homogamy and the communal model of love.
• Consider negative communication patterns, such as demand-withdrawal, and frequency of negative interactions.
• Choose one specific example of a relationship to explore. Choose one that is in its early stages, is nontraditional in some way, and is one in which you know the two partners fairly well.
• Think about how the two people in this relationship found each other.
• Apply factors that promote enduring and happy relationships (homogamy, communal love, and communication patterns) to this couple.
• Think about the likelihood that this relationship will become committed and enduring.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a brief description of the couple you have selected. Identify their gender and age as well as the type of relationship (cohabiting, homosexual, or other nontraditional type of relationship). Briefly describe how they met. Then apply the concepts of homogamy, communal love, and communication patterns to this relationship. Assess the likelihood that it will result in a committed and enduring relationship, and explain your reasons.
Note: Be sure to protect the identity of any persons you describe. Also, put the type of relationship that the couple you selected has in the first line of your post. You will be asked to respond to a colleague who selected a couple with a different type of relationship.