In the U.S., a common worry of parents is whether their children have a high self-esteem. In the age of increased awareness of the ramifications of bullying behavior (physical, verbal, and relational-aggression), as well as increased competition it is no wonder parents are concerned. Aleksandar is a coordinator of athletic programs for Centervale. In the past, parents have insisted on participation trophies for all kids playing sports between the ages of 5 and 11. There is currently a debate in Centervale regarding whether participation trophies for everyone should continue through middle school as well. Some parents think it will help with self-esteem, while other parents recall never getting participation trophies when they were growing up and think losing can be a good lesson.
Think about what you have learned in this module about physical, cognitive, and socioemotional development in middle childhood. In the Discussion Area, respond to the following:
- Explain the type of parenting style that would lend itself well to creating a healthy self-esteem and why.
- Describe a recommendation for the sports organizer, who wonders if everyone should receive a trophy just for participating.
- What arguments can be made on both sides of the debate? Be sure that you discuss development and how social, cognitive, and physical development during middle childhood should factor into the decision.
- Remember to support your responses by citing your weekly readings from the online lectures and the textbook.
- By the due date assigned, post your 200- to 300-word response to the Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, review and respond to the questions submitted by at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking questions, providing or asking for statements of clarification, and drawing conclusions. Offer your own assessments insights and issues mentioned by your peers.
- All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources. Use this APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40