NUR2488 Mental Health Nursing – Summer 2019
Clinical Community Psychiatric Mental Health Observation
Each student is expected to select a Community Mental Health Observation by discussing the options with their clinical instructor. Three days after attending the observation, submit the Community Mental Health Observation form following your experience by e-mail to your clinical instructor. The observation forms will be evaluated for a pass/fail grade based on including all of the following guidelines below and will be considered into the overall grade the student receives for the clinical experience. Plan: to discuss in your final post-conference your clinical community mental health experience with your other classmates.
The content of each clinical observation should include the following items:
- Describe the community mental health support group, event or experience and goals:
Title ______________________________Date_____ Time_____ Location__________
Be specific about the title of the event, where you went, what happened during the experience, what clients you saw, and staff relationship/interaction with client.
- Evaluate the overall community mental health clinical experience.
- What was good about the experience?
- What was problematic about the experience?
- Consider alternative strategies for the situation.
- What do you think would have made the experience better for you and/or for the group?
- What other therapeutic approaches or communication could have been used?
- Describe how the experience was related to mental health diagnoses? How did it affect the client or family?
- How did the clinical mental health experience relate to classroom content/theory?
- Any other thoughts or comments about the clinical mental health experience.