M5 Assignment 1 Discussion
Assignment 1: Transitioning to Young Adulthood
Would it surprise you to learn that this quote is attributed to Socrates (469-399 B.C.)? As children grow through middle childhood and into adolescence, they assert their autonomy more and more, becoming less likely to conform with parental influence as they form their own identities.
Review the stages of development covered in this course (including cognitive, socioemotional, and physical) and the main concepts you have learned in this module, including autonomy, identity formation, and relationships. In the Discussion Area, respond to the following:
- What have you learned about development during adolescence that might explain how this quote can apply to modern day adolescents, as well as those who lived centuries ago?
- Although there might be general similarities, are there some differences that modern-day parents need to consider as well?
- What advice might you give a modern-day parent for relating to his or her teen, based on what you have learned about development during adolescence?
- Based on your readings for this course, do you think research on development supports adolescence as a time of turmoil, identity formation, and/or peer pressure? Be sure to utilize the Dahl and Hariri article, which is required reading this week.
- Remember to support your responses with research from your readings.
- By the due date assigned, post your 200- to 300-word response to the Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, review and respond to the questions submitted by at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking questions, providing or asking for statements of clarification, and drawing conclusions. Offer your own assessments insights and issues mentioned by your classmates.
- All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources. Use this APA Citation Helperas a convenient reference for properly citing resources.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40