Journal Article Assignment
For this Journal Article Assignment, you will identify a published research article either in the print literature or online in the Capella Library. Your article must be based on empirical (data-based) research; qualitative or purely descriptive research is not appropriate. Select a journal article in your career specialization that reports either a correlation, a t test, or a one-way ANOVA (or some combination of these test statistics). The library guides listed in the Resources area can help you to locate appropriate articles.
The intent of this Journal Article Assignment is to:
- Expose you to professional literature in your discipline.
- Provide practice in the interpretation of statistical results contained in an empirical (data-based) journal article.
- Provide practice in writing and thinking in a concise and economical manner that is typical of scientific discourse.
Summarize the article in a maximum of 600 words using the DAA Template document located in the Resources area. Specific instructions for completing each section of the DAA Template are listed below.
You may use some of the author’s own words to summarize the article, but avoid lengthy direct quotes (e.g., copying multiple sentences or paragraphs verbatim). You should not exceed the limit of 600 words. This is a situation where more is not better.
Step 1: Write Section 1 of the DAA
- Provide a context of the journal article.
- Include a definition of the specified variables (predictor, outcome) and corresponding scales of measurement.
- Specify the sample size of the data set.
- Discuss why the journal article is relevant to your career specialization.
Step 2: Write Section 2 of the DAA
- Discuss the assumptions of the statistical test used in the journal article.
- If possible, identify information in the article that provides information on how these assumptions were tested.
- If no information on assumptions is provided, consider this as a limitation of the reported study.
Step 3: Write Section 3 of the DAA
- Specify a research question related to the journal article.
- Articulate the null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis.
- Specify the alpha level if it is provided in the article.
Step 4: Write Section 4 of the DAA
- Report the results of the statistical test using proper APA guidelines. This includes:
- The statistical notation (e.g., r, t, or F).
- The degrees of freedom.
- The statistical value of r, t, or F, and the p value.
- Also report the effect size and interpretation it if one is provided.
- Interpret the test statistic against the null hypothesis.
Step 5: Write Section 5 of the DAA
- Discuss the conclusions of the statistical test as it relates to the research question.
- Conclude with an analysis of the strengths and limitations of the study reported in the journal article.
Submit your assignment as an attached Word document in the assignment area.