PMIN 511: Pastoral Care, Counseling and Conflict
Book: Poirier, Alfred. The Peace Making Pastor: A Biblical Guide to Resolving Church Conflicts. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 2006.
1. What is Docetism?
2. Why does the author equate peacemaking with Christology?
3. Define the meaning of “conflict”.
4. What are the common occasions that result in church conflicts? Briefly describe.
5. In Ken Sande’s book you were introduced to the “slippery slope” paradigm. Poirer’s book returns to this model in addressing conflict within the church. Based on this model, what has been your response, in the past to conflict in the church? Why have you reacted in this way? What needs to change in the way(s) you respond to conflict?
6. What, at the time of the publication of the text, was the percentage of divorces among born-again Christian couples? How does this compare to the secular population?
7. What is the difference between the idea of “valuing” (another person) and in the concept and action of “biblical love”?
8. How does the “theory of unmet needs” compare with a biblical view related to human needs? Explain.
9. What is the core reason for marriages being in trouble?
10. The author states six reasons for conflict. Briefly state these reasons.
11. What is the answer to ending conflict?
12. Describe the grace in Christ that God gives to us.
13. Describe at least two characteristics of the Holy Trinity, as discussed by Poirer.
14. Briefly explain the author’s statement that “God ordains conflict”. Do you agree/disagree—give a reason or reasons for your answer.
15. Why is the ministry of reconciliation “not an appendage to real ministry”. Explain.
16. What does peacemaking have to do with spiritual sonship? Explain briefly.
17. What is the distinctive mark of the New Covenant?
18. What is the connection between sonship and sanctification?
19. What did Jesus demonstrate and the Father’s “distinctive glory”? Explain.
20. St. Paul discusses the “new man”. What is the specific context in which he expresses both condemned behaviors and righteous behaviors?
21. What does sonship “reshape”? Explain.
22. Name several ways that are used to demean people.
23. What is one way that, sadly leads to loss of credibility in witness for the Church? How can the Church recover this loss?
24. What are two ways we can keep those in conflict from making a “false confession”?
25. Give one historical definition of the term “repentance”.
26. Explain the difference between regret and repentance.
27. What is the Apostle Paul’s teaching to those in conflict?
28. Briefly state the “Ten A’s of Confession”.
29. What are the two diagnostic questions that assist us to determine whether or not to overlook an offense?
30. Why is biblical forgiveness “not a therapeutic form of self-help?” Briefly explain.
31. What are the two stages of biblical forgiveness?
32. Briefly describe the three types of negotiation styles.
33. The story of redemption, is primarily about _______________ and _________________.
34. The author notes that in addition to pulpit ministry and presiding at baptism and Holy Communion, the pastor is also called to the following ministries: ________________, _____________________________ and ___________________________.